A BRIEF HISTORY OF GUGGISBERG
The first traces of settlement in the area of Guggisberg dates back to the middle to late stone age. On the right bank of the Cold Sense river at the junction
where it joins with the Warm Sense river simple stone tools were found as well as traces of carbonized wood from the stone age, in addition various Roman
artifacts were found.
The Rüeggisberg cloister was founded in the year 1072 by Lütolf von Rümligen. King Heinrich IV. The cloisters foundation was confirmed in a document
from the year 1074 and supplemented it through the donation of the forest and the barren waste in the zone of "Chucansperc", the current Guggisberg. The
document of 1074 is regarded as original but was previously thought of as a forgery. Possibly because in the document dated 1074 the cloister claimed more
property than the King had originally granted.
In a document dated 27 May 1148 of Pope Eugen III, there are over thiry places mentioned from which the cloister of Rüeggisberg received goods or incomes.
The church in "Cucansperc" is mentioned for the first time in this ancient document, furthermore the zone of "Chucansperc" is mentioned in the document
of 1074, which was given by King Heinrich to the Rüeggisberg cloister. This document of 1148 forms the basis for Guggisbergs anniversary celebration.
Because the relationship was often strained between Bern and Freiburg, Guggisberg was burdened by quarrels and skirmish between the two, an alliance was
formed with the city of Bern. This friendship treaty was probably meant as cover against Freiburg. This did not prevent however the Berner in 1340, after the
Laupenkrieg (the land aristocracy resisted Bern) to impose a heavy criminal court over the area. They burned and robbed Schwarzenburg, Guggisberg, as well
as Whalern, before heading over Längenberg mountain home.
On 11 September, 1423, Duke Amadeus VIII of Savoyen sold to his dear "friends and confederates" of Bern and Freiburg in equal parts the festivals and rule
of Grasburg with all accompanying rights in an "eternal, perfect and unwiederruflichen" for approximately 6000 French Goldtaler. Bern and Freiburg made
from that a "common domination". The farmers had now two gentlemen to serve, who ruled five years apiece the festivals of Grasburg.
In the connection with the old Zurich war, eebenfals war broke out between Bern and Freiburg; in March 1448 open battle came to Plaffeien and Tafers.
Because of the robbery of Berner trains, a large army attacked Freiburg the night of the March 28./29, 1448 and burned Schwarzenburg and Guggisberg. The
smoke of which could be seen in the morning as far away as Bern. In the subsequent peace, Freiburg was made subject and had to forgo its rights to the
Grasburg region. Freiburg was not welcomed again as a partner until the Burgrechtsvertrag agreement of 1454. Freiburg had to concede many rights to Bern.
Schwarzenburg and Guggisberg in a letter demanded to belong to Bern. Not until 1803 did they finally become separated from Freiburg and become a part of
When the 1750 law regarding freedom of settlement was rescinded by the Bern government, the result was that poor people who had been
forced off [their holdings] had to remain in the Upper Community of Guggisberg, which was already heavily burdened.
The first stairway on the Guggershörnli is constructed by restauranteur/bar keeper Blaser of Guggisberg. The innkeeper Blaser, five years later, emigrated
with Johannes Hostettler from Grubenboden to America.
With the introduction of a democratic state the communities received full community autonomy. The kantonale arms commission assessed however, there
could be hardly a poorer community, than the community of Guggisberg. In addition, the readjustment of the taxes and duties were not calculated based on
actual assests, but rather on the expansion of the land area. This disproportionately heavy load,inexorbantly contributed to the increased are poverty
The community continued to decline into further impoverishment.
In the autumn of 1859 community meetings in Guggisberg and Rüschegg unanimously agreed to a division into the separate communities Guggisberg and
Between 1873-78 a road was constructed from Schwarzenburg to Kalchstätten and then to Guggisberg. It remained the single road of the communities for 60
years. In 1892 a branch was added from Kalchstätten to Guggersbach. The first regular horse postal service route could finally be opened in 1878 from
Schwarzenburg to Guggisberg.
Holzersflüh, now owned by Jakob Kammermann, is consumed by fire. Jakob Kammermann family moves to Der Sahlen.
Holzersflüh is rebuilt by Jakob Kammermann, but the debt load is to great and it is purchased at auction by Mr. Wyssenbach (whose family still owns it today).
Jakob Kammermann, Christina Hostettler-Kammermann, children Gottfried, Karl, Johan, Christina, and Jakob Albert Kammermann, and Christina
Staudenmann-Hostettler emigrate to America.
In the Sangernboden with the plans of architect Drachsel, the Kirchlein is built.
Clarence Kammermann visits Guggisberg and Holzersflüh, home of his parents, and Grandparents. Dorothy Kammermann, daughter of Jakob Albert
Kammermann, visits Guggisberg and Der Sahlen, home and birthplace of her father.
1998 Guggisberg has its 850th birthday - the community celebrates with a festival.
March 1, 1999 Guggisberg is represented on the internet at www. bluewin. ch/guggisberg. November 7, 1999 Guggisberg has it's own internet website at
September, 2000 John Eric Kammermann and wife Velda Hish visit Guggisberg, Holzersflüh, and Der Sahlen, home and birthplace of Eric's ancestors. They
meet new friend,Barbra Wyssenbach, of Holzersflüh, for the first time.
September, 2003 John Eric Kammermann and Velda return to visit Guggisberg and Holzersflüh making many new friends, Frau Lydia Bucher, the wonderful
Renggli's at the Hotel Sternen, Beat and all the other local people at the back table at the Hotel Sternen, and dear new friends Beat and Barbara Wyssenbach
of Holzersflüh. Beat and Barbara invited the Kammermann's to Holzersflüh for a wonderful Fondue with some very potent Kirsch. They were actually
married the very next day. The most exciting part of the trip was meeting Adolf Hostettler. Adolf's grandfather Ulrich, was a brother to Eric's
great-grandmother, Christina Hostettler Kammermann. Now a retired Landsmann(farmer), Adolf is a kind and generous man, who was an absolute joy to